When it comes to costly roofing services, like roof replacement, you want to know that you’re getting the best people to do the job. However, finding a trusted and reputable local roofing contractor can be a daunting task.
In this article, you’ll learn more about the benefits of hiring an experienced local roofer or roofing contractor, and we’ll also provide you with some tips that can make your search for a good one a lot easier.
It’s Best to Hire the Experts
You’ll have to do your homework to find a trusted and reputable local roofing contractor, like the Algonquin Roofing Service, which can provide you with the services you need.
Roof repair or replacement can be costly, so you’ll want the job to be performed by experts. Once you’ve made the right choice, you’ll have peace of mind, knowing that your roofing job will be carried out efficiently and correctly.
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind while choosing the best local roofing contractor for you:
- Ask for referrals from a trusted relative, neighbor or friend who was a previous client in order to find out about the work ethic and payment terms of the local roofing company.
- Check review sites, like Angie’s List or the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to get a better idea of the local roofer’s standing.
- Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, find out more about the local roofing contractor by checking the company website, making a few phone calls to validate the services offered and interviewing an individual roofer.
The Importance of Local Knowledge
An experienced local roofing contractor will have attained a vast pool of knowledge and skills in regard to different types of roofing, including an awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
Guided by their knowledge, you’ll be able to make a sound decision about your own roof, and you’ll also be provided with different roofing options that are suitable for particular weather conditions.
7 Common Types of Roofing
Roofs come in many different varieties, some of which are more sustainable than others. When choosing a sustainable roof, however, don’t just consider the obvious choices like a green roof. Factor in durability, how often you’ll need to replace the roof and the amount and type of resources that are required for making the roof and transporting the materials.
Here are seven common types of roofing that local contractors should be able to explain with confidence:
- Green Roof – One of these is covered with plants that will help insulate the home underneath, improve air quality and reduce water runoff.
- Slate Roofing – Slate can last for 100 years. It’s waterproof, won’t burn and can resist mold and fungus.
- Solar Tiles – These can be integrated seamlessly into your existing shingles for added energy efficiency. A roof that contains solar tiles can generate up to 1 kilowatt of energy per 100 square feet. Solar tiles are perfect for sunny roofs, but they may cost more than solar panels and other traditional solar options.
- Clay and Concrete Tiles – These tiles can withstand damage from hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes or extreme winds.
- Asphalt Shingles – This type of roof is commonly used because it’s effective and efficient when it comes to handling all environmental conditions. The upfront costs are low, but you can expect to replace your shingles after 20 years. Impact-resistant shingles with a UL 2218 Class 4 rating are the best type of asphalt shingles to use if you reside in a hail-prone area.
- Metal Roofing – Metal roofing comes in shingles resembling tile and shake, in slate tiles, or in vertical panels that can last for 60 years. This type of roofing resists high winds, won’t burn and excels at sloughing off rain and heavy snow. It’s also lightweight, so it can be installed over your existing roof. However, metal roofing may pick up dents from hail and can be noisy during heavy rain.
- Stone-Coated Steel – Interlocking stone-coated steel panels mimic clay, slate or asphalt shingles. This type of roof can resist potential damage from winds travelling at a speed of up to 120 miles per hour, heavy rainstorms dropping up to 8.8 inches of water per hour, hail, uplifting, and freeze-thaw cycles.
Your Contractor’s Experience Level
As mentioned, repairing a roof requires expertise or specialized skills, which should be present in a local roofing contractor. Just make sure you choose one who carries years of experience and has an excellent portfolio, so they can deal with all sorts of roofing challenges.
A Local Response Is a Quick Response
If your house or any property is located in an area that’s prone to natural disasters, your roof can be exposed to harsh weather elements that may affect it negatively.
Any roof damage should demand your immediate attention, because your life (and perhaps that of your family) will be at stake. Therefore, you’ll need a local roofing replacement company that can provide a rapid response.
Hiring a locally owned and/or operated company is beneficial because you can expect someone to be on your doorstep to perform roof repairs or replacements as soon as possible, which will save you from a lot of hassle and stress.
A Warranty is Essential
A roofing contractor can provide a warranty of a few years to assure the quality of the work that’s being done. Choosing a local roofing company will give you the assurance that you can rely upon the roofer while being backed up by the warranty if any issues arise.
Adherence to Local Building Codes
One of the benefits of choosing a local roofing contractor is the level of knowledge and awareness they’ll have regarding local building codes and rules for building roofs.
Adherence to these rules is mandatory, so when you hire a roofing company, you must always make sure the local contractor is fully aware of your local building regulations and is an expert at following those mandated standards.
A Good Customer Experience
A local roofing company can provide personalized consulting services, enhancing your customer satisfaction and experience. Choosing a trusted and reputable roofer near you will enable you to be confident that experts will be handling your roofing job. Whether you need roof repairs or replacements, it’s always best to hire a local company over one that’s coming from far away, so you can easily reach them if and when issues arise.